Qutub Minar, constructed from red sandstone and also marble is not only the greatest brick minaret on the planet yet additionally among the most famous historical sites of India. The building and construction of this tower of victory were inaugurated by the originator of the Mamluk empire in Delhi, Qutb ud-Din Aibak and also completed by his follower and son-in-law Iltutmish. Located in the centre of Delhi, India, this UNESCO World Heritage Site, noticeable from various parts of the city, attracts countless site visitors every day. It is just one of the most famous traveler spots in India and also a need to see tourist place in the itinerary of very first-time site visitors to Delhi, both nationwide and global.
Qutb ud-Din Aibak, the patron of the Turkish rule in north-western India and likewise of the Mamluk Dynasty in Delhi, commissioned the building and construction of this masterpiece in 1192 AD. He dedicated the minaret to the Muslim Sufi mystic, saint and scholar of the Chishti Order, Qutbuddin Bakhtiar Kaki. Various ideas surround the origin of the turret. While some sources believe it was created as a tower of victory noting the start of Muslim rule in India, a few other states it served the muezzins who called the faithful to prayer from the turret.
The skyscraper was completed by Aibak’s son-in-law and also successor Shams-ud-din Iltutmish, regarded as the creator of the Delhi Sultanate, in 1220. Iltutmish included three more stories to the monolith. This historic monument faced a couple of natural catastrophes. A bolt of lightning struck the leading floor of the minaret in 1369, knocking it off completely. The then chief of the Sultanate of Delhi, Sultan Firuz Shah Tughlaq took charge of its remediation as well as constructed two more stories to the minaret made from marble and also red sandstone. Once again when an earthquake harmed it in 1505, the then Sultan of Delhi, Sikandar Lodi, rebuilt the leading two stories of the turret with marbles. Parso-Arabic and also Nagari personalities etched in numerous sections of the minaret mention the background of its building. The tower faced the wrath of nature yet once again when a major quake on September 1, 1803, damaged it significantly. In 1828, it was remodeled by Major Robert Smith of the British Indian Military, who installed a cupola atop the tower. However in 1848, as instructed by the after that Governor-General of India, Henry Hardinge, 1st Viscount Hardinge, the roof was uninstalled from the tower as well as placed in the east of it where the roof remains situated.