1) Parliament passed the Citizenship (Amendment) Act 2019, with Rajya Sabha passing it on December 11; Lok Sabha passed the Bill on December 9.
2) Talking at a high-level meeting at the continuous UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) COP 25 in the Spanish capital Madrid, the Union Environment Minister offered India’s stand and said the nation is “walking the talk.” “Climate change is real. The world acknowledged it as well as embraced a detailed agreement in Paris. Let us focus on the application of the Paris Agreement as well as not digress. “If there is a bothersome truth in the form of environmental change, we are providing a hassle-free strategy. We are walking the talk. “India has actually lowered emission intensity of GDP by 21 percent and also gets on track to accomplish the objective of 35 percent emission reduction as assured in Paris,” Javadekar stated.
3) PM Narendra Modi on December 14, chaired the very first conference of the National Council for Ganga and also evaluated the progress of the Namami Gange Project focused on cleaning river Ganga.
4) UK Head Of State Boris Johnson assures Brexit before January 31, after his Party’s thumping election success, promises to work “round the clock” to pay off the trust of the voters.
5) The trial run on Dhaka-Gangtok, as well as the Dhaka-Darjeeling bus route, started on December 12. Darjeeling, as well as Gangtok, are popular tourist locations for Bangladeshi visitors. Presently, visitors to these destinations need to alter the bus on the India Bangladesh border before continuing to Gangtok or Darjeeling. When fully functional, the direct bus service will give a smooth travel experience to the travelers. Exclusive operators have shared their willingness to run bus services on this path.
6) Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi and also delegation showed up in the Netherlands to defend the country against charges of the genocide of its Rohingya Muslim minority. The hearings happened in the International Court of Justice in The Hague from December 10 to 12.
7) The International Hockey Federation unveiled a new globe rating system for 2020 in Lausanne, Switzerland. The new position will undoubtedly be match based calculation. It will enter into effect from the start of the following month. For a much better reflection of present performances, the brand-new position will be match-based rather than tournament-based calculation. The world body claimed that the brand-new version eliminates a lot of the subjectivity surrounding continental weighing by producing a system that is reasonable to all.
8) 13th South Asian Games wrapped up in Nepal on Tuesday evening; Countless sports lovers observed gala closing ceremony held at historical Dasaratha Rangshala in Kathmandu; India finished on the top with 312 medals making up 174 gold, 93 silver as well as 45 bronze.
9) Children in lower- as well as middle-income countries (LMICs) are getting approximately 25 antibiotic prescriptions throughout their first five years of life, a quantity so extreme that it might hurt their ability to fight pathogens, and also raise antibiotic resistance worldwide, according to research.