1) The nation celebrated Vijay Diwas on December 16 to commemorate India’s victory over Pakistan in the 1971 war.
2) The government, on December 18, launched the National Broadband Mission, which aims to fast track growth of digital communications infrastructure, bridge the digital divide, and provide affordable and universal access of broadband for all. The main objective of the NBM is to provide broadband access to all villages by 2022. The ambitious project will involve laying down around 30 Lakhs kilometer route Optical Fiber Cable, increase tower density from 0.42 to 1.0 tower per thousand of the population by 2024 and significantly improve the quality of services for mobile and internet. The mission envisages Rs 7 lakh crore investment in the next 3 to 4 years.
3) Tony-Ann Singh of Jamaica was announced as the winner of the Miss World 2019 beauty pageant held at the ExCeL London on December 14.
4) According to a new study, the Earth’s inner core could be covered by that is made up of tiny particles of iron. According to a study by the journal JGR Solid Earth, the iron snow particles fall from the molten outer core and make up the inner core.
5) A recent flyby of Jupiter by NASA’s Juno spacecraft has led to the discovery of a new cyclone on the south pole of the planet.
6) The European Space Agency is continuing the search for new Earths this week with the launch of Cheops, a new telescope whose name stands for CHaracterising ExOPlanet Satellite.